Dissemination and Sharing of Research Results - NSF Data Management Plan Requirements
NSF Data Sharing Policy
Investigators are expected to share with other researchers, at no more than incremental cost and within a reasonable time, the primary data, samples, physical collections and other supporting materials created or gathered in the course of work under NSF grants. Grantees are expected to encourage and facilitate such sharing. See Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG) Chapter XI.D.4.
NSF Data Management Plan Requirements
Proposals must include a supplementary document of no more than two pages labeled "Data Management Plan". This supplementary document should describe how the proposal will conform to NSF policy on the dissemination and sharing of research results. See PAPPG Chapter II.C.2.j for full policy implementation.
Requirements by Directorate, Office, Division, Program, or other NSF Unit
Links to data management requirements and plans relevant to specific Directorates, Offices, Divisions, Programs, or other NSF units, are provided below. If guidance specific to the program is not provided, then the requirements established in PAPPG Chapter II.C.2.j apply.
Please note that if a specific program solicitation provides guidance on preparation of data management plans, such guidance must be followed.
- Biological Sciences Directorate (BIO)
- Computer & Information Sciences & Engineering (CISE)
- Education & Human Resources Directorate (EHR)
- Engineering Directorate (ENG)
- Geosciences Directorate (GEO)
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences Directorate (MPS)
- Division of Astronomical Sciences
- Division of Chemistry
- Division of Materials Research
- Division of Mathematical Sciences
- Division of Physics
- Office of Polar Programs (OPP)
- Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences Directorate (SBE)
- Cross-Directorate Programs
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Public Access